Old 29-12-2006, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
James James is offline

Default Hedges

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
James wrote:

I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I
was looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but
if left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an
evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the
upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

maybe some Hollys? Crepe Myrtles? Tough, most plants WANT to grow. Can the
hedge EVER be pruned - even on alternate years or something? Just because
a plant CAN reach 40' doesn't mean you must allow it.

Carl

All plants seem to have a natural height whereby they don't grow taller or
at least not much. I'm looking for something evergreen that seems to max out
around 10 feet after it reaches that. Yes, some trimming would be in order
from time to time but I don't want a runaway reaching for the sky.