Old 29-12-2006, 11:34 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default frost question

"Linda H" wrote in message
u...

I'd be interested to hear other's views on frost, too Kylie.

I live in the Yarra Valley (Vic.) and recently a surprise severe frost
took its toll on some of the big vineyards (Oct or Nov I think?) and much
good new growth was badly damaged. I forgot the what the estimate in
monetary damage they (the vineyards as a group) claimed but I think it was
in the millions.

ya, we got that one too. the commercial peach growers got a LOT of damage.
as did we, however, we've only been here 5 minutes so we had no emotional or
economic investment in the trees yet. every single baby fruit except two (2)
peaches on one of the trees was killed. that's a lot of apples & stone fruit
that died!!
kylie