Old 29-12-2006, 11:39 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default frost question

"meeee" wrote in message
This is something I *can* help with...frost does settle in low areas, and
the description of your garden makes me think it will be badly affected,
the lower spots more so. If you can't move it, put more sensitive things
higher up the slope, and a hessian sack/old sheet/old blanket can be used
to protect new growth.

i was doing that for weeks & weeks while the last frosts (or so i thought
;-) carried on. it does work. (note to self, get more covers ;-)

Stone walls can be used to store heat during the day,
and reflect heat at night. If you put a stone wall at the lower end of the
slope, it will give those plants some relief.

i was thinking about this last night. and then i thought - would that not
create a frost pocket at the bottom of the garden. then i stayed awake
feeling confused :-) it would presumably work if the stone got warm enough.
also, i planted a kiwi (originally 2, but the male died) on that fence. my
thinking at the time was it would be easy to throw hessian over the plant &
fence every night. now i'm wondering if i shouldn't just move it. (?)

Also try and make sure your
garden bed isn't in shade during the winter afternoons. Anyway, just some
tips Look for frost friendly plants as well, frost will improve plants
like that.

i have been!! g i got one lovely one (decorative, not veg) the other week
that i think isn't. just to give myself something to fuss & obsess about.
i'm looking forward to the winter veg which won't give me any worries, i
must say. it's the "summer" things which suffer when it won't bloody stop
frosting that is driving me mad!

thanks!
kylie