Old 18-02-2003, 02:39 AM
Theo Asir

Default Sombreuil and Spring roses

"R & L Porter" wrote in message
Anyone in a cold zone have experience with this rose?
I have been perusing Paul Barden's site and he claims
that it is surprisingly winter hardy. Just wondering if
anyone out there can back that up. It looks like such
a beautiful rose.

Glad to say my Som. has survived -10f winter.

required some radical action though.

I don't recommend first year in the ground
esp. in cold areas. It grows very slowly.
After 3 months it had only grown 18 inches high
by August.

Now this is no where near robust enough for
winter around here so I plucked it from the ground
and potted it. It sulked for a while then recovered.
It has even kept all its leaves.

I placed a rose order with Pickering's in December and
eagerly await its arrival.

On order and arriving in April a

Illusion - red climber
Roberta Bondar -- yellow climber named for 1st Canadian woman in space
Seagull - rambler
Ipsilante - gallica
Gloire de France - gallica
Jacqueline du Pre - shrub
Westerland - shrub
Nymphenburg - H. Musk
Mme Alfred Carriere - Noisette (also reputedly hardy)

Didn't you get this last year. What happened
or is it too painful to talk about..

Felicite Parmentier - Alba

once blooming??

Fantin Latour - Centifolia
Tour de Malakoff - Centifolia
Paul Ricault - Cent.
The Bishop - Cent.
Graham Thomas - Austin
Tamora - Austin
Albertine - rambler
Antique '89 - climber

Is this the german rose also called
antike 89? I've lusted after it but
havn't found an own root version yet.

I am getting excited, even though it is below 30 degrees celsius out
there right now and the garden is buried in several feet Brrrrr....
of snow.

Laura

right!

--