Old 29-12-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Anyone have any champagne rhubarb seeds?

"misterroy" wrote in message

growing for a market stall, seeds are cheaper than roots, I am

prepared
to wait for the seeds to grow.

??? As a cattle producer, I know that a year lost where we don't sell
any cattle is is a year of profits gone.

You will lose more money from waiting for the seeds to turn into a
croppable plant than you will from using crowns.

Anyway, I've now become quite interested in this form of rhubarb and
did a bit of research. The first thing I did was to drag out my
Phillips and Rix and the only form of rhubarb with a "champagne" in
the name that they mention is a variety called "Hawke's Champagne".
They recommend it as an early variety. I then did a hunt around the
net and found another variety by the name of "Stein's Champagne".
According to one site I found, these two varieties are the ones
recommended as a result of RHS taste tests as being the top varieties
for eating.

But, having gained that info, I'm now wondering what it is you want to
do with this rhubarb. Do you want to sell forced rhubarb at the
beginning of the season or do you just want an early rhubarb before
others can produce it or do you want to sell the best tasting rhubarb?

If I was selling at a market stall, I know that I would just try to
have a good looking rhubarb. Not many people are decent enough cooks
these days to be too fussy about bought rhubarb. People who are fussy
will grow their own even if they have to resort to putting it in a
giant pot to grow.