Old 29-12-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hen3ry hen3ry is offline

Default Club root

Jim S wrote:
I have a friend who tells me he has club root on his allotment.
I haven't grown the cabbage family for over 5 years now, but when I did
there were various powders that could be made into pastes to alleviate the
problem. I assume things have moved on so what are the current palliatives
for this?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Some years ago I had severe problems with clubroot. I sow all my
edible brassicas in seed trays and prick out to plastic vending machine
cups. I then plant out when they are ready. Using a tip that I got
from Ryton, I place a couple of inches of a stick of rhubarb in the
planting hole. I have not seen clubroot since. When I sow seeds, such
as wallflower, I bury sticks of rhubarb alongside the rows, and the the
short piece when I plant out. It works for me.
Dave Henry.