Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Anyone have any champagne rhubarb seeds?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

.. Passing Wakefield on the
M'way you see fields of it, which for some reason I always find
amusing.

:-)) Is the term "rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb" used in the UK? Much
better than the "yada, yada yada" which seems to have become popular
since Seinfeld hit the small screen.

It isn't so much about climate or temp, as rhubarb is a cool
temperate crop -- they even grow it in the Faroes -- it really is
mainly about the darkness, so they get pure pink tender stems.

But what of the taste? Is it significantly different to the field
grown stuff?

The only times I've bothered to try the darkness treatment I've used
those square black 25-litre dairy hypochlorite "drums" with the

bottom
sawn off. (I've lost count of the number of ways to use those

things:
sawn in half lengthways for pig troughs, crossways for tomato tubs,
floats for carnival rafts, and so on and on.)

I couldn't live without those type of drums (mine are from glass
cleaner)! I use then with a tap just dripping to sit beside plants
that need more water, I've cut the top off some to use as chook
nesting boxes, I've cut the tops of some to use as big "hands" for
collecting Autumn leaves, I've cut an L shaped bit from the top and a
side so I can use it as a carrier for small tools. I've used them to
soak things in etc, etc - wonderful (free) resouce.