Old 01-01-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nyssa Nyssa is offline

Default Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Kimberly wrote:

Would you all like to share where you get your seeds? Favorite websites
and/or catalogs?

I tend to get most of mine through three different suppliers:

Pinetree Seeds
Smaller packets, so less cost per packet. I've got a fairly
small garden, so I don't need huge amounts of each seed. This
way I also get to try more varieties. This is my main supplier.
http://www.superseeds.com

Kitazawa Seeds
My choice for Asian varieties. Not a huge collection, but
quality. I only get a few favorite varieties since I'm the
only one in my aquaintance who likes Asian vegetables. One
exception is a variety of green onions that *everybody*
likes - Evergreen White Nebuka.
http://www.kitazawaseed.com

John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds
Several gourmet varieties of seeds I like that are hard
to find elsewhere. I usually only get 10-12 packets each
year from them. I like their Ambition Shallots. They've
got several collections for specific purposes such as
Summer Salad Garden and the like. Nice way to try some
new varieties along with old favorites.
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com

I used to buy quite a bit from Park's but have cut back
to just a few varieties like their burpless cucumber.
I got their catalog this year and will probably make a
small order.

I also stop by a semi-local farm store for bulk items
such as seed potatoes and onion sets and Blue Lake
Bush bean seeds that I tend to buy just before planting
time.

Speaking of catalogs, I must have gotten on someone's
list big time this year. I've been deluged with over
a dozen catalogs from companies I've never bought from
before. It's overwhelming! I've browsed through several
of them, but when you find only one or two varieties
you'd like to use, a lot of your gardening budget ends
up going to multiple shipping and handling fees. So
unless I find something *very* special, I'll be sticking
to my regular suppliers this season.

Happy Gardening!

Nyssa, whose fingers are starting to itch to get into
the seed starting mode