Old 01-01-2007, 03:21 PM posted to austin.gardening
[email protected] nospamtolipmeat@webtv.net is offline

Default Disappearing Strawberry Plants

Hello Jeff

I'm assuming you are in/near Austin Tx?

Our soil is 'sweet' and strawberries like 'sour' soil. When I planned
my garden in Aus, I made a 6x6 bed and filled it with christmas tree
needles/lots of compost, then let it sit until Fall.
Good drainage is a must for the bed and a raised bed or the 'hill'
method of planting is best.

Except for predator birds, every other bird LOVES berries, so I made a
cage to foil the thieves. The plants need about 1" of water/week and
must be heavily multched(straw) and a slug/snail protection is needed.
Verticillium wilt and red stele infect the roots and that problem is
made worse by heavy wet soil. It may be a good plan to change location
of the bed after some time, since other veggies can 'carry' V wilt.
Gray mold rots berries. Wet/humid weather and overcrowed plants with
poor air circulation just invite it.

I had great luck and sweet berries from my little patch, but it is tough
with our soil. Berries from Poteet, Tx are so great, because of that
soil, but it's gratifying to grow your own.

Make sure you buy disease-resistant varities and even certified
virus-indexed plants.....a tad more costly, but these are more
vigorous/productive.

Hope this is of some use.....

Dave S(Texas)