Old 01-01-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default New to vegetable gardening

On 1 Jan 2007 12:17:43 -0800, "betsey" wrote:

My first question is this--I have a spot picked out for a veggie
garden, lots of sun, good drainage, etc...My intention is that while it
is still warm here in NJ (unbeilable, will still be in the 50's this
week!), I would like to turn the soil over. No problem with that,
right? Now, I have two pet bunnies....and I know i can use their
manure without a problem, no need to wait. Here is the question--they
are bedded with pine shavings (the kind you use for horses), and the
manure is mixed in. Any problem with adding this to the existing
soil????

I've used bunny poo mixed with a corn cob bedding for years and it
works great! The pine shavings might not break down as easily,though,
so you might want to start a compost pile and pile the soiled bedding
there to let it work for 6 months or a year.

I've put mine straight in the garden and let it compost, and it worked
well both ways. If you put the bunny poops straight in the garden,
though, they will float like little coco puffs in heavy rains.

Penelope
- "pointed"