Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Maintaining spinach and rocket crops

"Staycalm" wrote in message
These have been producing very well the last few weeks and I'd like to
keep them going for as long as I'm able. Should I just keep watering with
some liquid fertiliser periodically? I'm collecting leaves for salads and
stuff every second day atm. How long should I wait before I sew more seeds
for a new crop? Can I keep doing this until the weather changes? I am in
Melbourne.
Thanks

Liz

ime, rocket grows very fast & readily & flowers quickly too, so just sow
more every so often, or pick it more vigorously to put off flowering. you
don't _have_ to re-sow often if you don't want to - you can eat it even when
it's fully flowering, but a lot of people find it too peppery by then. :-)

spinach otoh is slower all around ime. i had some that lasted for absolutely
_ages_, i just picked off the outer leaves as required & they never flowered
(they died of heat instead when hot weather came ;-)). if it's not too hot
for spinach where you are atm, sow again or just try to keep them going,
it's up to you. generally speaking though, spinach gets cranky in summer. i
gave some a go, but it just didn't want to live. i might try again - we're
having a cold snap now g. all around though i find spinach really
temperamental - i'm just hanging out for my ruby chard to get a tiny bit
bigger, & eat the baby leaves of that instead. (i've also ordered n.z.
spinach (warrigal) seeds from digger's, but that's another story).
kylie