Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Maintaining spinach and rocket crops

"Staycalm" wrote in message

spinach otoh is slower all around ime. i had some that lasted for
absolutely _ages_, i just picked off the outer leaves as required & they
never flowered (they died of heat instead when hot weather came ;-)). if
it's not too hot for spinach where you are atm, sow again or just try to
keep them going, it's up to you. generally speaking though, spinach gets
cranky in summer. i gave some a go, but it just didn't want to live. i
might try again - we're having a cold snap now g. all around though i
find spinach really temperamental - i'm just hanging out for my ruby
chard to get a tiny bit bigger, & eat the baby leaves of that instead.
(i've also ordered n.z. spinach (warrigal) seeds from digger's, but
that's another story).
kylie

I planted my spinach and rocket in the NW corner of the garden, with loads
of mulch around and they have been sown very densly. I have been trying to
give them regular doses of liquid fertilizer. They have been going great
guns.
I got given a plant of Warrigal greens for Chrissy! Is it nice to eat?

i don't know yet!! i hope so :-) eat some & let me know! i was perusing the
digger's catalogue & noted that it's a frost-hardy perennial (hurrah), so
for $2.50 or whatever it is, i thought i can't go wrong :-) it probably
doesn't taste exactly like spinach, but we'll see! (hopefully it's yummy, &
if not, life goes on).

baby nasturtium leaves are yummy, we've been putting those in the salad just
lately.
kylie