Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
kenv kenv is offline

Default Hedges

Take a look at : Strawberry tree Arbutus unendo

"mleblanca" wrote in message
ups.com...

James wrote:
I was looking at some seed catalogs that I have received this month. I
was
looking for some ideas about planting a 100' hedge. Nice pictures but if
left alone these things grow up to 40' or more. Does anyone know of an
evergreen hedge that will grow about 8 to 10 feet and stop. I live in the
upper south not too far from the Ohio river.

Given those requirements: not too tall, evergreen and fairly cold hardy
limits the selection to a few.
Holly is a good plant that might work:
ilex glabra, Inkberry
Ilex verticillata, winterberry
or Ilex crenata, Japanese holly
Also Mahonia, Oregon grape, or
Taxus, Yew. There are Taxus x media hybrids such as
Hicksii or Hatfieldii, these are in the 8-12 foot range I think.
Taxus is not a rapid grower, however.
and there is Japanese Privet, Ligustrum japonicum. ( I would never
suggest it for the west, it is an agressive invader here)
But it serves the purpose in colder areas.

What you might consider rather than a 100 ft. hedge of one species
is mixing several kinds of plants into a "hedgerow". You could even
include some deciduous varieties with the evergreens. If some
noxious pest/disease appears, you will not be as likely to lose all
the plants as you could with a monoculture hedge.

Good luck with your project.
Emilie
NorCal