Old 02-01-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default diy lighting

Richard Sexton wrote:

i am very handy and can wire about anything, however I am not too
familier with the various types of aquaria lighting....nor do i know
what I will need for my 75 gallon tank.

You're really not gonna save any money buying stuff retail and
cobbling it together. What you probably want to do is find a place
that sells used office equipment and buy some light fixtures.

I made a tank light by using one of those bathroom fixtures that use several
bulbs in a row. Six 15 watt screw-in fluorescents gave me 90 watts for a 40
gallon tank. I made the hood enclosure from plywood.

I got the fixture at a garage sale for $5. The bulbs were about $30, IIRC. A
3 prong cord was $6-$8. The plywood I had. I did buy 3 "moon" LED lights at
retail, but that's not a necessity.

DON'T try this unless you have electrical experience. Find a friend who knows
what they're doing. Electricity and water can be a deadly combination.

--
It's turtles, all the way down