Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default frost question

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Yes. It will lie in the swale in a frost pocket on the uphill

side of
the hedge and not continue to drain down into the veg patch.

we've got lavender out the wazoo, so i think i'm going to plant a

lavender
hedge! nothing ventured, nothing gained! if it doesn't help, i'll

still have
a nice hedge. unless it dies, of course ;-)

Don't let it get leggy - you need to growth to be right to the ground
to stop frost drainage at the base of the plant.

The kidney shaped permie beds I thought you meant were the ones

with
the taller plants on the outer edge of the curve with the lower
growing plants on the inner sider of the curves. I think they

call
them sun traps?????????? And the ones I've seen pics of didn't

ahve
any rocks whereas the mandala beds all did.

the ones i saw in a book (one of those permie books i hated &

bitched about
later ;-) were kidney shaped, with the short curve facing north, and

the
long curve on the south side. then you would build up the south side

so the
sun hits the rocks, so the whole bed was a warm little north-facing

pocket.
it's a cool idea! (or rather, a warm one).

Ah. A variation on the theme.

Not that it matters
either way - I have enough problems watering with low pressure

without
adding to it. BTW, do you have low pressure because Green Harvest
seel those wonderful low pressure 'rattle" top sprinklers which

are
wonderful for low pressure country systems - I've got about a

dozen
and swear by them..

the only pressure we get is from gravity, so that's... er, it's not

bad, but
it's not like in town, but it's definitely ok. i don't have what i'd
consider "water pressure problems" though. i'll have a look at your

link in
a minute! do you water veg with sprinklers? i try to water more

directly
onto the soil.

A mix depending on location - some fixed sprinklers, some moveable
sprinklers and some I hand water with a hose. I understand that drip
irrigation is now recommended as most water efficient but I have habit
of putting forks through lines and they wouldn't work in my veg bed
situation. I mulch once the soil warms up (and I'm deadly with a fork
for hidden lines under mulch - a guaranteed plastic line detector am
I).

what are joe blakes?

Snakes.

thanks for the help.