Old 03-01-2007, 12:01 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Maintaining spinach and rocket crops

wrote in message
oups.com...
0tterbot wrote:
i'm just hanging out for my ruby chard to get a tiny bit
bigger, & eat the baby leaves of that instead

Apparently there is an acid in silverbeet (swiss chard) that is
bad for people with gout, and possibly for asthmatics. My
missus had an asthma attack after eating raw silverbeet,
but she doesn't have a problem when it is cooked. Just
something to think about if you use it for salads.

really? didn't know that!
i might see if that will work on my father in law...
just joking.

i love ruby chard and five-colour chard because it's just so utterly
beautiful to look at!! (and the baby leaves are delicious).
kylie