Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default frost question

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Don't let it get leggy - you need to growth to be right to the ground
to stop frost drainage at the base of the plant.

tch! MY lavenders aren't leggy. hmf! g actually what made me think it's a
great idea is the kind i have most of is very bushy anyway, it looks right.

a minute! do you water veg with sprinklers? i try to water more

directly
onto the soil.

A mix depending on location - some fixed sprinklers, some moveable
sprinklers and some I hand water with a hose. I understand that drip
irrigation is now recommended as most water efficient but I have habit
of putting forks through lines and they wouldn't work in my veg bed
situation. I mulch once the soil warms up (and I'm deadly with a fork
for hidden lines under mulch - a guaranteed plastic line detector am
I).

heh. i am thinking there might be pragmatic problems with putting in a drip
system for the veg. (not least, having to rearrange all the sticking-out
bits every time some new formation of soemthing-or-other went in!?) otoh, i
don't want water spraying between beds or anything, either. otoh again,
doing it all by hand with a hose takes an exasperatingly long time some
days. by this point i've used up too many hands. i'll think about it more.
ta again.
kylie