Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins HumanJHawkins is offline
Registered User

Default Bamboo Privacy Screen

echinosum wrote:
Mitch Wrote:
I'm looking for recommendations for the variety, spacing, and
planting of a bamboo to QUICKLY grow privacy screenCUT

The obvious suggestion is Semiarundinaria fastuosa or (better)
Semiarundinaria fastuosa var viridis.

Just curious, why would "var. viridis" be better than the type form? Is
this purely a question of taste in coloring, or does the variant have
some hedge properties that the type form doesn't?

(I ask because I am also making a hedge, but prefer the coloring of the
type form)

Also, FYI to the original poster, many consider it wise to mix
varieties in a hedge... I alternated Ph. nuda and S. fastuosa in my
hedge. The main reason is the tendency for bamboo to flower
gregariously (meaning all ast once) and die.

If you have only one variety of boo in your hedge, there is a risk that
after 10 long years of getting it established well, it will simply
flower and die. Mixing varieties greatly reduces this risk.
Alternatively, you can use a variety that is known to have recently
flowered, so you at least know it won't die for 60+ years.

Good luck.