Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default planting winter rye

Bob said:

"rhyno" wrote in message

[borked-quote snipped]

Is there something seriously wrong with your OE? Your quotes should be
defined, using a proper quote character (standard is a "" followed by a
"space"). Definately *not* a row of asterisks, following the quote. Perhaps
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ will help.

Not really that familiar with your climate, having only spent short vacation
times there, but from what I understand, it is very mild, perhaps doesn't
freeze at all.

Around here (Texas), it is not too late to plant. We have two types of Rye.
One is annual, meaning it dies out when it is warm.
The other keeps coming back year after year. I don't think you want that.
I planted it, not knowing the difference, and several years later, am still
trying to get rid of it. It is hard to mow because it seems so wet and
heavy.

Rather than ask your question on a public forum, it would seem to me to be a
better idea to go by a local nursery.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking the question here. It's why
this froup exists. Plenty of posters here are from the left coast, and are
familiar with San Diego's climate and turf grasses. Perhaps they've been to
a nursery and are getting more opinions.

As to the OP's question, planting an annual rye now, should be fine. It
grows quickly, and will provide the green they seek, until their desired
sod can be laid/sown in the spring.

--

Eggs

Can you be a closet claustrophobic?