Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default Misting systems

"Dan Marker" wrote in message
om...
I want to buy my wife a misting system for her orchids as a surprise
present. Any recommendations? She has about 40 orchids, probably about 15
of
which are hanging in pots or on sticks and need regular misting, provided
now from a squirt bottle. All of them are in a heated, shaded, ventilated
sunroom.

Dan - The thing that stops most of us is your use of System and Sun
Room. Most of the sunroom growers prefer to hand mist so they use a
pump sprayer, a battery operated sprayer or a squirt bottle.

Those with systems usually are spraying a greenhouse for heat control
and humidity or we are watering mounted plants and have large volumes
of water that then drains across the floor or into gravel or tile beds
on the floor.

We don't think of systems as indoor and we do think of sunrooms as
indoor.

Don't be limited by what a vendor does with a system. IF it puts our
the type of mist your wife wants and the volume is controlled enough
that you can live with it in a sunroom, That is it. We all are
adapting. Right now I supplement the humidity in my "grow under
lights" case with 2 fish tank air-stones bubbling away in margarine
tubs of water. They are not as effective as a small fog mister, but
they are cheap and were available when I needed them. I have seen
misters during the summer that are meant to humidify a patio area as
"outdoor air conditioning." They may be the right size for your use.
I have only seen them in the big box stores during the summer - but
you may find something like that on the net out of season.

Good Luck.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids