Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default frost question

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

A mix depending on location - some fixed sprinklers, some moveable
sprinklers and some I hand water with a hose. I understand that

drip
irrigation is now recommended as most water efficient

heh. i am thinking there might be pragmatic problems with putting in

a drip
system for the veg. (not least, having to rearrange all the

sticking-out
bits every time some new formation of soemthing-or-other went in!?)

Yep. You hit the nail on the head.

otoh, i
don't want water spraying between beds or anything, either.

No. Total waste of water so that is why I use such a variety of
techniques.

For our 'official' veg beds which are 2 railway sleepers long by half
a railway sleeper wide, we use the microsprinklers and they work well.
We have the a quarter circle head in each corner and then I think 2
(or perhaps 3) 180 degree heads down each side. They are put on in
the morning before the wind gets up and they do a good job. I have
also made a number of individual micro sprinklers of either half or
quarter circle on a click clack connector that I can use for various
odd shaped spots round the garden. Himself was disparaging about how
effective they would be when I made my first one but I notice that he
now uses them too. Must make some more of them.

I've also found a spkie sprinkler that just has a slit in it and that
is brilliant for the edges of beds where a round sprinkler always
leaves a few spots unwatered. I spent too much bloody time wandering
round this big garden retreiving the right sprinkler for the job, but
better than letting my investments die from lack of water. And as for
the money I'm spending on mulch of various types...........

otoh again,
doing it all by hand with a hose takes an exasperatingly long time

some
days.

Yep, and not to mention the pots that need watering cans carried to
them - sigh. I even use mulch (rice hulls or lucerne chaff) on the
top of pot plants now.