Old 04-01-2007, 06:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default i wrote...

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

... a really immoderate rant about water restrictions (and/or lack thereof).

and especially about the nsw govt, and how cross it makes me that the garden
hose police get around busting people for watering their gardens on the
wrong day, but the authorities seem not to care(?!) how much
drinking-quality water people flush down their dunnies and showers and
generally waste _inside_ the home where they'll never be caught, and where
govts seem unwilling to encourage change in people's ludicrous, wasteful
behaviour.

You aren't alone, from the tenor of letters to the Herald on the subject. I
haven't yet seen anyone who thinks that the desalination plant is a good idea,
let alone tapping Sydney's underground water.

where are the community service announcements? where is the thinking and
discussion on a better way to harvest and allocate and charge for water, so
that people can use it how they think best, but knowing they only have their
little allocation and at its true cost, so they better think carefully?
there are simply no immediate _consequences_ for wasting water (that people
can see) - it's just an endless, clean, cheap, lovely supply that will never
run out.

I would like to see industrial water usage being looked at. There is a heck
of a lot of water wasted in industry, I suspect.

What I'd like to see is an allocation of water to households at a moderate
price, based on the number of people who live there. Once you go over
allocation, you get hit with an excess usage charge. That would allow
families with 8 children to still bathe regularly.

if it ever does run out, the consequences would be horrendous - but
the "waste not, want not" philosophy is clearly not foremost in enough
people's minds. all that is happening is people's lovely, health-giving
gardens are dying, & the nsw govt has its head up its arse, and the liberals
are even more useless (so that's no use).

Peter "Of course I'm sane" Debnam! Biggest vote winner Morris has!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue