Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default i wrote...

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

I cannot believe the rampant and unbelievably unecessary consumption
there - for example, 1 family of 2 drivers with 2 large 4x4s in
Coogee!!!!! - not a bloody dirt road withing cooeee!!! and $9,000

Hah. The real problem is that I have to share the road with idiots like them.

spent for glass pool fencing for a minute distance to replace lace
pool fencing that had nothing wrong with it (and then there was the
cost of the garden 'landscaping' that had to go in round the pool
fencing and all it was was about 3 varieties of very common old plants
and some mulch and all that cost several arms and legs too!).

It's important to have a pool in Coogee; it's such a long way from the beach
:-/

but god forbid you give the veggies or the flowers a bit of a
squirt with the hose. it's quite all right to have a bazillion-litre
shower when you're not even dirty, but god forfend you water a tree so it
doesn't die.

Well, to be truthful, you need a heck of a lot of water to substitute for a
shower of rain. Squirts with the hose are pretty useless -- you need to water
for a couple of hours to do any good.

Agree totally, but it's much more than just water - it's all the other
throw out, use it up mentality of city people too.

Not quite all of us! There are a few people outside the cities who behave
like that too. It's the population density that decreases, not the idiot
density. Though I suspect that there *are* a lot of idiots living in those
TUscanised mansions in teh Hills District...

Have just been reading "Lawns into Lunch" today, which is a set of case
studies of urban permaculture. These urban greenies have usually found their
neighbours to be supportive (particularly after the fresh eggs and tomatoes
change hands...).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue