Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Shindy Shindy is offline

Default Cure for foul water?

There are five jugs that I keep indoors due to sub-zero temps; I'm in an
apartment-sized duplex with no electrical outlets where they are kept out of
the way. The jugs are almost 2' tall but with openings 1.5" wide, which
makes them difficult if not impossible to clean. Maybe if I swish some
coarse sand around in them it'll loosen the residue on the bottoms. Well
anyway, I'll always have organic matter in them because of a sick tree
(which isn't mine to remove) that hangs over the gutters, constantly
throwing its trash down in them. I was afraid of using household bleach
because of "other stuff" that might be in it, so I was kinda leaning toward
H2O2. Potassium permanganate would also help oxidate the water, but is
expensive and messy. I just know I need to do something because every time
I water the bigger plants in my son's room it stinks the whole room up.