Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default OT Printer Poser

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:24:54 GMT, "MikeCT"
wrote:

I'm now on my second printer, the first, an Epson packed up for good shortly
after coming out of the guarantee period. After using up the original ink
cartridges supplied with the printer, I switched over to compatible which
might have had a lot to do with my printer's early demise. Acting on advice,
I again chose Epson for my second printer, this time using genuine Epson
cartridges. Now my second printer is nearing the end of the guarantee year
in February, what should I do? Keep buying genuine ink cartridges until it
too packs up, or start saving money buying compatible cartridges in the hope
that it prints on for a further year or so?

MikeCT

I had an Epson printer that I used cheap replacement cartridges with,
after the guarantee ran out, like yourself. The jets blocked two or
three times but removing the print head and giving it a good clean
revived it a couple of times, but not the last, which meant the whole
printer was u/s. (Got the instructions off the net, but can't remember
where. Try Googling for Epson printer ink jet cleaning, or similar
words. Messy business, though, head cleaning).

I now have an HP. The ink cartridges are eye-wateringly expensive, but
do include the jets, so if they block you don't lose the whole
printer. But I refill them from cheap syringe-like refills I got from
Lidl, although I've only ever seen them there once, but I'm sure
similar refills are available elsewhere. It may be less than top
quality ink, but I've done three refills of my black ink cartridge for
about GBP 1.50 which can't be bad, and if the jets do eventually block
I'm no worse off than I was when it ran out the first time.

--
Chris