Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Garlic?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Stokie" wrote in message

Hi,
Could anyone please tell me when to plant Garlic and also,what is
the best type to buy.
Many Thanks,
Stokie.
--
Stokie

Assuming you live where there's an actual winter, garlic is best planted in
the fall, at the same time as tulips & other spring flowering bulbs. The
following year, it'll start growing. You're supposed to remove the
"scapes" - the flowers. When the stalks turn brown, harvest the garlic.

I don't have advice on the variety.

any hardneck variety. softneck varieties are substantially worse.
Anyway, it is too late for this year, they would come up miserably if
planted now.
I got my hardneck from Territorial Seeds, but I also got bulbs from the
farmer market that perform well. Of course, one needs garlic seed only
once, it is economically and agronomically advantageous to replant the
cloves of the largest bulbs.