Old 05-01-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dan Marker Dan Marker is offline

Default Misting systems

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message

Dan - The thing that stops most of us is your use of System and Sun
Room. Most of the sunroom growers prefer to hand mist so they use a
pump sprayer, a battery operated sprayer or a squirt bottle.

She has about 15 mounted orchids that get their water only from misting.
They're all hanging in a line in the sunroom, and, yes, a certain amount of
water ends up on the tile floor and on the cover of the hot tub that's
partially under them. She has some plastic tubs set up to get the worst of
it, but the sun is pretty good about drying up whatever water we leave lying
around in there. She has about 30 more potted orchids that sit on humidity
trays on racks in front of the windows. She sprays only a few of these.

We're going away for a week in February, and she feels like she's worn out
her welcome asking friends, family, and neighbors to come over here and
spray her stick orchids. A misting system would free her from asking for
help when we go away, and would probably free up some of her other time as
well (here's the jealous spouse part), so I would get to see more of her.
:^)

We're in upstate New York, and the misting is simply to get water to the
roots of her mounted orchids. They don't get water any other way.

Dan