Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Air conditioners

I was under t he impression that the water was recycled locally and only
needed to be repleneished as the level falls.
This is not good enough.

LindaB wrote:
My understanding is that it is a bleeding process to prevent
mineralisation.

At this rate we are filling a standard bucket in under an hour.

Lot of water!

This one is a Carrier, second smallest model. My beloved reckons that
it probably uses a 100 litres an hour from the mains, and is bleeding
at a ratio of 5:1. So anything in the ingoing water comes out at a
raio of five times stronger in the bleed.

Which is why it is set at a higher bleed rate for, for example, bore
water.

He also reckons the larger models will be using one hell of a lot of
water - so here is another reason the water storages are emptying
quicker.

But at least we are catching 20% of it now.

Linda

"Claude" wrote:

"Jonno" wrote in message

Evaporative does not create water.

Yes, that aspect has got me puzzled too. I have always been under the
impression that evaporative coolers transfer water molecules into the air
being ducted into the building. So they presumably evaporate a fair amount
of reticulated water but why would there be any unused water going into the
storm water system? Why especially would there be the sort of quantities
going to waste that Linda is talking about? I suppose the answer is that
some systems run the water through a system of pads and anything not
evaporated is piped away rather than reused again - if so, would be
interesting to know if all brands and models are guilty.