Old 05-01-2007, 02:02 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Grey water from washing machine

Claude wrote:
As an experiment, I caught all of the water coming out of the washing
machine this morning in buckets. To my amazement, I captured 10 buckets
from the wash cycle and another 10 buckets from the rinse cycle! At an
average of 8 litres per bucket, that's a helluva lot of water - enough to
water my modest suburban garden. My top loading Whirlpool 7244E has Small,
Medium, Large and Extra Large settings and I had it set on Large. So, since
we do about four loads per week, Melbourne's new regime which permits
watering only by hand on two days per week is not the problem I had thought
it was going to be, provided I can find the time to collect the water from
the washing machine. The detergent I've got is Duo, which claims 3.1 grams
of phosphorus per wash, supposedly half the maximum set by the industry's
own standard. No idea if 3.1 is acceptable for natives or not, but I'm a
bit nervous about it so I'll look for one of the liquid detergents at the
supermarket like Aware or Planet Ark. I could just use the rinse cycle
water, but that seems a terrible waste.

If they dont build a water desalination plant this year, there is going
to be hell to pay. And unfortunately it would be best powered either
solar or nuclear. (Ouch I can feel derision coming on that last one)
What ever, we wont be around otherwise due to people fighting for water.
Why are we still importing people when the water system cannot handle
the population we have now?
I am going to tell "Thwaitse" in Melbourne he does not know how to use
numbers except to twist them and make the people cringe. Blame us for
their incompetance? All we domestic consumers use is some 8/9 percent
of water, while industry and irrigators use the rest. Yesterday he
claimed we use 40 to 50 %. What utter lack of knowledge for a supposed
leader of people.
What we save is minuscule. Are we being misled? YES. Some would call it
SPIN. That avoids the word lies. Spin sounds nicer.
I sometimes wonder if these people got their university ticket by email.
As a matter of fact, I think its time the government checked all the
credentials of public servants, after what I heard going on with the
judge in Sydney and his misleading the traffic people for a fine
collected in a dead persons name. It makes for interesting reading.

Im not being paranoiac. Prudent is the correct word....
Never mind you guys, I'm gonna make a home solar water distiller (I'll
have plenty of water)so all the sludge left behind can be mixed in with
my nuclear bomb shelter concrete. (grin!)