Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Chicken longetivity?

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
Hi,

As a bumpkin I still have no idea how long they live... or lay for?

... that's assuming of course they die a 'natural' death.

Thanks,

Keith

I never had the heart to cull mine so I can say they do lay some eggs when
old but it is not a meaningful quantity after about 4 years.
We used to find the first laying year to be the most productive but that in
the second the eggs were heavier although less in number, after that you
just get less. In our case this was complicated by the fact that young hens
will often use the nest boxes provided but the wily old birds favoured the
hedges so not only did they lay less but you could never find them all!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk