Old 05-01-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default new gardener, needs advice

wrote in message
ups.com...
I wouldn't use paper cups. I've used both paper and styrofoam ones,
but the styrofoam ones tend to tip easily and the paper cups start
looking moldy around the bottom fairly quickly. Plus, the bottom
(where you punch the drain holes) gets damp and weak.

I'd either get the cheap plastic trays & domes from the home
store/Walmart or, if they're not available early enough, use plastic
yogurt containers and a bag (until the plants appear). You can use an
awl to put a small hole in the bottom and then enlarge it with
something like a big nail.

Charlotte

Some (real) garden centers sell new 6-packs very cheaply. I can buy them
locally for about 15 cents each. If they're not mishandled, I'll get 3-4
uses out of each one. One advantage to them is that if they're in a tray and
you have to bottom water the whole tray, they won't tip over if the water
makes them float before they soak it up. Individual cups or small pots can
be funny that way.