Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default new gardener, needs advice

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

Some (real) garden centers sell new 6-packs very cheaply. I can buy them
locally for about 15 cents each. If they're not mishandled, I'll get 3-4
uses out of each one. One advantage to them is that if they're in a tray
and you have to bottom water the whole tray, they won't tip over if the
water makes them float before they soak it up. Individual cups or small
pots can be funny that way.

I save any that I buy after planting what I got, wash them in Clorox water,
and reuse them until they get too raggedy to use. I put shelves, a
thermometer and a light in my hot water heater room. As soon as they start
spouting, I take them out and put them where they will get more light (my
light system in that room is weak, but it stays plenty warm).

I also grow sweet potatoes, and start my slips in plastic trays on top of my
freezer (a self defrosting type that stays warm). It is a challenge, but a
lot of fun. I raise my own cabbage, make my own kraut, and then I can it.

Dwayne
Colby, KS