Old 06-01-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Garlic?

I plant mine at the end of August, through the middle of September. I
bought 3 cloves of elephant garlic, because I like the milder garlic. Now I
raise about 75 heads of garlic a year.

It comes up the year you plant it, winter comes, and it lives through it.
In about July the next year it starts dying back. I dig it shortly after
that happens. I Cut the stems back to about 3 inches, wash them off, and
let them set somewhere dry in the shade where the air can reach it for 10 to
15 days (on my deck or in the garage normally).

Then I put it downstairs where it is cool until Sept. I brake as much apart
as I need to plant as many big cloves as I have room for to restart the
cycle, and use the little cloves. The rest stays in the basement till I use
it or give it away.

Dwayne

"Stokie" wrote in message

Hi,
Could anyone please tell me when to plant Garlic and also,what is
the best type to buy.
Many Thanks,
Stokie.

--