Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Zebulon Zebulon is offline

Default Winter pumps and filters......

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Zëbulon wrote:
It must be global warming. It's the first winter since 1995 that I
have pumps and filters running in January. The cheap bucket filters
are working great. :-)

Interesting point........global warming. Here in London, the weather is
mild, if very wet. I have a weather station with a temp sensor beside the
pond. The lowest recorded temp was 1.5 degC. so far. ATM, 6pm, it is 12
degC. Water temp stable at 10degC I read a lot about pond heating a
couple of months ago..........maybe in a few years, we'l l be pumping
refrigerated water around the system!!
--
ßôyþëtë

========================
LOL!!! Yeah, I know what you mean. It's also about 10C here today, or for
us around 64F. We've had some good rain in the last 24 hours. The spring
is running so I'm pumping clean spring water into the larger ponds. Free
water! Unnaturally warm for mid winter. We did have a real cold snap for a
few days that froze the top of the water solid except for breathing "holes"
in November. It's been more or less springlike ever since. The bulbs are
really coming up now. I fear they will bloom much too early and the flowers
be undersized and ruined. The good thing is I am able to feed the small koi
fry that were starting to die. They do digest food at 45F as I see the
stool collecting on the bottom. :-) The fancy GF all made it through that
bitter cold spell in fine shape. They seem more tolerant of the cold than
koi.

We have another poster here who I believe also lives in or near London but
doesn't have a pond yet. Her name is Gill.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.