Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] galyles@leavethisout.blueyonder.co.uk is offline

Default PETITION to the PM re more allotments

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:12:19 +0100, Martin wrote:

On 4 Jan 2007 15:57:00 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

Martin wrote:
and it helps if you are extremely gullible :-)

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?cat=616
"Introduce televised capital punishment for the following. 1. The losing
housemates from television's "Big Brother". 2. The losing "artists" from the
final stages of television's "X-Factor" and "Pop Idol". 3. The celebrities who
are eliminated from television's "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" "

NOOoooo. You're joking aren't you?! Are the above 'petitions' on the
same site?

Yes! The full list is here http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list

Going to number 10? Hope I haven't signed for this too ....

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/juggle/
"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to stand on his head and juggle
ice-cream." 2351 have signed this petition. Probably all London ice cream
salesmen.
--

Martin

There are some kooky petitions but many are serious, with lots of good
ideas that I wouldn't have thought of. The most popular at the present
time is one against vehicle tracking and road pricing policy, now with
well over 100,000 signatures and very rapidly increasing! However,
many other petitions relate to a wide range of everyday-life issues.
If you look at the list of "closed petitions" which have reached the
deadline that the originator of the petition applied, there are some
that have received feedback, presumably from the civil servants
associated with No 10. Whether any of this will make a difference to
government decisions is a moot point, but it is a new way (government
sanctioned) in which the strength of opinions of those people visiting
the website can be registered with the powers that be. Hopefully, that
can't be a bad thing, since most professions these days in many walks
of life (outwith government) require soliciting opinions and feedback
from those whom they serve as an essential part of their efficient
functioning. At least this site is transparent in showing how popular
is the support for each and every petition.

Geoff