Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default i wrote... NOW X-POSTED

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

it's an interesting theory - the only problem i can find with it is that i
think it doesn't pan out in reality :-) i'd have to think about that more to
be sure where i stand on it, but as a 36y.o. child of baby boomers (dh is 38
& also the child of boomers), it certainly doesn't work in our house, &
thinking of people i know, it doesn't seem to work there either.

snip
my parents were always broke when we were growing up - do you think that
might be the real key? privilege vs lack thereof?

Yes -- I was going to list the exceptions but didn't bother. For example,
Boomer-age migrants generally don't have the Boomer mindset because they
didn't have the usual Boomer experiences -- they were too busy learning
English/working/studying/saving. The ones who migrated for purely economic
reasons, however, have children who are a lot like Baby-Boomers, because the
parents are giving the kids everything they missed out on themselves, such as
fancy weddings.

My sister has a friend whose parents put money away every week for her
wedding. By the time she was 21 they had so much money in the account that
they used some of it to pay for the 21st... All the guests got a half-bottle
of champagne to take home. Inscribed with the girl's name and birthday
details! Goodness knows what they did for the wedding. Engraved ingots as
bomboniere?!

So yes, if your Boomer parents were very poor, that's probably why you don't
think like that. They had better things to do than consider their own
self-actualisation, or do I mean self-aggrandisement.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue