Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garlic?

"John Bachman" wrote in message
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:26:12 -0600, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

simy1 said:

snipped hard neck vs soft neck discussion

Anyway, it is too late for this year, they would come up miserably if
planted now.

This year, here, maybe you could chance it. The ground hasn't frozen.
I've got garlic greens coming up already. Yesterday someone mentioned
thatthe pussywillows are blooming in her yard and buds are swelling
on the red and silver maples!

I am new to garlic, in my second year. I put in 400 plants, all hard
neck, as a trial and now half of them are already up, just like yours.
Do you think that the early sprouting will have any effect on the crop
quality?

John

They'll be fine. Some bulbs get beat up badly when their sprouts are exposed
to frost. Others laugh at the punishment, die back, and return later.
Crocuses are a good example of this.