Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default The trouble with Jerusalem Artichokes

wrote:
Did anyone see "Grow your own veg" on BBC2 last night? It was
enthusiastically promoting Jerusalem Artichokes as easy to grow and
good to eat, enough to induce me to order some seed tubers this
morning, but omitted to mention a key fact about these little chaps.
I know from experience that, although they are delicious, and hence
make you want to eat a lot of them, they are the very devil for
causing flatulence, unless you are very restrained about how much you
eat. Does anyone know the answer to this? Is there something you
can eat or cook with them, which will enable you to enjoy the
wonderful flavour without making you fart?

It's said that fennel is anti-fartaceous, but I don't believe it. Not
at all sure it would go with J artichokes, either. Maybe restrict
yourself to one or two dishes a week, or get a dog to blame for the
eruptions. I was interested to see the variety they had: quite big
chunky roots, while the only ones I've seen were long and thin.

John Seymour used to say that growing a patch of Jerusalem artichokes
would attract pheasants. . .not that he would have dreamt of suggesting
anything so antisocial as shooting other people's pheasants, of course,
M'Lud.

Don't you just _love_ Carol? Genuine infectious enthusiasm after all
those years in the business, no nauseating telly-bizzery, total lack of
talking down or disrespect for the audience. As I've said before, I do
hope TV makes more use of its older women.

--
Mike.