Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Composting Ivy

Mike Lyle wrote:
I admit, though, that even quite thin woody stems often fail to break
down properly in a reasonable time. But I was interested to see again
last night how bitty is the compost they make at Kew: the pros don't
seem too bothered about classic textbook friability.

I like chunks and bits in my compost. Air circulates better! When I
come to use my compost, I just chuck out on one side the larger stems
that haven't broken down completely - it will either become a bugs nest
or kindlings for my fires. But usually I keep as much bits as I can in
there.