Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Compost

"Jack" wrote in message
This is probably a silly question but here goes!

I have a council allotment with heavy clay soil (two spade depths down and
it's pure yellow-orange clay). Also, the soil structure has been ruined

due
to heavy equipment on the plot.

I've built raised beds and done my best with what I have, but now I'd like
to enrich the soil and improve its structure.

I have 2 compost heaps on the go, but they won't be ready for months. I
also have a huge pile of manure but, again, it won't be ready until next
September.

what do you mean by not ready until september? Is it hot composting at
present or is it cold?

If it has completely cooled down after a nice roast it can most likely be
used now.

Unless there is something in the manure that you really really want to get
rid off it can be used after a season of standing to improve soils. If you
want to grow in it you may want to stand it longer if unsure of the source
or if the poop is still hot.

As with compost, it doesn't need to be finely browken down like raked top
soil to be useful in improving soil. If it is brown and earthy smelling and
the ingredients no longer recognisable (save for twigs and prunings) it can
be used.

If wou want to save the compost/manure as fertiliser closer to planting, and
your plot is lying fallow for a while, sow some green manure like clover (if
possible) and harvest it a few weeks prior to planting. That will improve
the soil quite nicely.

rob