Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default i wrote... NOW X-POSTED

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

it's an interesting theory - the only problem i can find with it is that
think it doesn't pan out in reality :-) i'd have to think about that more
be sure where i stand on it, but as a 36y.o. child of baby boomers (dh is
38
& also the child of boomers), it certainly doesn't work in our house, &
thinking of people i know, it doesn't seem to work there either.

snip
my parents were always broke when we were growing up - do you think that
might be the real key? privilege vs lack thereof?

Yes -- I was going to list the exceptions but didn't bother.

hm. tbh, i'm with jen on this - i think you're just being too general :-) it
would be fair to say that people who've known nothing but privilege tend
(perhaps) to parent a little differently, but to paint entire generations
with a broad brush is something that pretty much gets my goat. individuals
within an entire generation are simply far too different both in personality
and experience for that to work well.

For example,
Boomer-age migrants generally don't have the Boomer mindset

i really don't think there's one "boomer mindset" though. the boomers have
age-related similarities in many ways (just as every generation does) but i
can't handle the idea of a boomer mindset. they were the most privileged
generation australia has ever had (i don't think subsequent generations are
nearly so privileged - and by that i'm clearly not only talking about money,
but general advantage, access, and power) and that may make some difference
between them & the rest of us, but in the main i feel parenting style comes
down to so many factors that one's generation is quite possibly the least of
it.

So yes, if your Boomer parents were very poor, that's probably why you
don't think like that. They had better things to do than consider their
own
self-actualisation, or do I mean self-aggrandisement.

well, not really :-) my dad was pretty much into self-actualisation, and
that's how i became a child of divorce g. but seriously, these are two
people (my parents) with so little in common in every imaginable way that i
find it difficult to believe they were ever married (even though i was
there). yet, their upbringings were extremely similar (and similarly
modest), they're almost the same age, were born & raised only 30km apart,
etc etc etc. they're just totally different people who, then and now, behave
extraordinarily differently in every way including their parenting styles
(then and now) and, well, everything. my example of two doesn't negate your
point, but since we're talking about the children of boomers, it's not a bad
place to start. my dad is totally overindulgent to himself & others - so
when we were broke, we were the ones taking stuff back from the supermarket
checkout because he didn't have enough money to actually get everything we'd
asked for. if we'd been wealthy, i wonder what sort of angry, self-entitled
****** i'd be, according to your theory? g
kylie