Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default i wrote...

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"0tterbot" wrote in message

i know you've got an avowed set against city-folk g,

Not all of them, just most of them. Like most American, they just
don't get it.

but sydneysiders
subsidise a lot of country stuff.

Given the continual fall in services in the country, I'd be interested
to know what they are subsidising.

i'm wondering if the country EVER had good services, or if people remember
erroneously :-)

in nsw (as an example) there are 4 million city-folk & one million
country-folk. the one million take up a lot more space than the 4 million
do, but still have roads, schools, hospitals etc to consider. there's no way
on earth the one million are paying for the country stuff & the 4 million
paying for the city stuff because that would not be possible - it just
doesn't work that way.

in cities you get economies of scale (consider telstra cables, for example).
so the extra state & federal monies raised in cities but destined for
project whatever end up in the country too otherwise the country couldn't
afford anything at all :-). so we might help pay for their (cough)
desalinator, but they help pay for our roads, schools, hospitals, telstra
cable, etc.

tax funds for a state are for the whole state, not just some of it - yet
similarly spending for something in a state is paid for by the whole
state.
kylie