Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default help! potato emergency!

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

You mentioned that the spuds had been in for 3 months. IIRC, Desiree
has about a 120 day to harvest period??????

i just had a google (as my books only say of potatoes in general "2-3 months
maturing time") & one site says 95-100 days for desirees, so that would be
right.

so it may be a bit early
to think of harvesting them.

this situation (or disease ;-) might put a natural end to keeping them in,
though! they're all going yellow, curling up & dying (even some of the
pontiacs now, which i put in shortly after the desirees, have stopped
looking differently-diseased & look like they're going the exact same way).
without any foliage, it's a bit pointless to keep them in much longer, isn't
it? (i wasn't going to harvest them tomorrow or anything, but it can't be
long now anyway. i just had lost track of when they went in & didn't
consider how close it must be to time).

Pehraps it might be worth checking out
the days to harvest for the varieties and check you garden notebook to
see when you did plant them to be surer.

i'm thrilled that you think so very highly of me that you think i'd keep a
notebook. bg!
kylie (being organised really isn't my strong point!! i can't emphasise that
enough!!!!)