Old 07-01-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jay[_2_] Jay[_2_] is offline

Default tomato varieties

I grow in raised gardens because of the poor soil here in Atlanta and
buy compost, etc in 40 pound bags at Wal-Mart for about 95 cents a bag.
I add turkey litter that has been processed for use on golf courses for
fertilizer. Growth is fantastic and it is organic. Right now I am
harvesting colliflower and broccoli from my winter garden planted in
Sept. Cabbage should be ready in about two weeks.
Jay
www.greatgardens.org

wrote:
I would like to start canning my own tomatoes in both whole form and in
salsa. What is the best variety for this? I'd like to get something
that grows well in my sandy loam kansas soil and has a decent yield.

Also, we'd like to have a few slicer tomatoes for salads and to eat
plain, what makes a good tomato variety for this?

the past few years, we've only used miracle grow fertilizer about 3-4
times during the season without any ammendments to the soil. Should
we consider manure or other fertilizers to increase the tomato yield
out of our smaller garden?