Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default March of the Dinosaur

I really wish and think one day perhaps Google will get over it's aversion
to binary newsgroups. Some of them are worth having around and it's not
like Google doesn't have the storage space or the 'retention' capability.

I am sure if you asked the powers that be at the AOS, they would tell you
that you are not allowed to talk about them on this newsgroup either. The
problem with a moderated newsgroup is that it ends up being only the
moderators who's opinions get expressed...no matter who is typing them. The
problem with a non-moderated newsgroup is that it has people like ME in it.

Look into giganews. They do have a monthly charge; I think it was $9.99. I
used giganews for about two months after my old ISP dropped USENET and
before I switched to new ISP that had it.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
oups.com...
As of 1/1/07 my ISP no longer provides access to a news server.
Obsolete I guess. I did a goggle search on news servers and they seem
to run 5 to 10 bucks a month. The "free" sites just seem to be
hooks into their pay service. I found Goggle Groups through the old
Dejanews, but I am not happy with the interface and no access to the
binary site. Anyone know of any better options?

I guess I would not feel so bad about paying the $100 a year fee if I
was not staring at $120 bill for AOS awards. But wait, AOS is offering
a special deal for me; give them $150 and I can have membership as
well. I checked out their forum site and found you are not allowed to
talk about the AOS. I tend to avoid clubs with such rules. Best thing
AOS could do is sell that building and move back into rented office
space in Boston. Not sure what I am going to do next season, but $60
is just plain too much.

Just saw Bob's post and I know I had better download the files and
start studying, but I don't want to, I really don't want to.

Thanks,

Pat