Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Red Tomato Red Tomato is offline

Default New Greenhouse!

Little Weed wrote:
Hi
New greenhouse arrives tomorrow for the allotment - so all we need now
is fine weather for next weekend (yep right - sigh) As is usual with
these things we have a range of advice about the glazing - to silicone
it in or not? The glass is horticultural and not toughened.
Any thoughts gratefully received
LW

Hi Little Weed.

I put in a new greenhouse towards the end of last year, took a long
time to do ( by myself) but was worth it in the end, I choose
horticultural glass- I like to look of it and dont fancy the idea of
the plastic turning a nasty colour which apparently can happen. I
already have had a pane of glass smash but was able to repair it with
some glass glue for now. ( I think a bird hit it in the high winds
over the winter). I have attached it to a concrete flooring which took
a long time to drill but was really worth the effort securing it down
as the high winds have tested it and was fine. I have not siliconed in
the glass, I dont think there is any need as the panes slot in like a
slate roof, the rainn does not come in and there is no draught. Just
my opinion!.. good luck with putting up the greenhouse- I found it a
bit like the Krypton Factor but I am so pleased with it - was well
worth it in the end.
Regards

Barbara from

www.all-about-tomatoes.com