Old 08-01-2007, 04:58 AM posted to triangle.gardens
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Asparagus

I would forget getting a good yield this year. I buy 2 year old roots of a
hybrid that is considered a giant male. No asparagus will be ready to pick
(at least without stunting the roots growth) until it is 3 years old. And
after that point in time, I only cut off the ones that are as bit as my
little finger or larger.

When you get ready, pick a permanent spot for your bed. Then dig it out far
enough to allow you to bury 6 inches of manure, cover it with 1 to 2 inches
of dirt, lay the roots, and cover them with another 3 to 6 inches of dirt.
I did mine in a raised bed and it worked out fine. You dont have to go to
all that work if you dodnt want to, but your "good yield" will suffer if you
dont.

Dwayne

"DonS" wrote in message
I want to try asparagus this year. L.A. Jackson in the N&O says to go
ahead
and plant this month. Any tricks/tips to consider to produce a good yield
this year and going forward?

Thanx.