Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Compost

"Jack" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote

what do you mean by not ready until september? Is it hot

composting at
present or is it cold?

If it has completely cooled down after a nice roast it can most

likely be
used now.

Hi, Rob, thanks for your reply. I got the manure in mid-September,

and
apparently it was fresh. It had lots of straw and wood chips in it,

and the
supplier said it needed to be stacked for a year. It's piled up,

uncovered,
about 3 feet high. I've never seen any steam off it and it's always

felt
cold. It's actually quite crumbly, although some parts of it are

still
recognisable as horse poop.

I've had conflicting advice because some people say it should be

stacked for
a year, whereas some people say to chuck it on now and let the worms

pull it
down. Being a bit squeamish about germs and diseases and whatnot,

I'm
nervous about using it so soon on my allotment.

Use it now. worms are wonderful wee workers so let them work for you.