Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Horse Manure

"Robert" wrote in message
news
Jack wrote:
: A silly question from a person born and raised in a city and only

ever
: having veggies from a supermarket, nicely washed and packaged !
:
: Adding horse manure to soil for growing veggies - could you get

the
: screaming abdabs from the manure, some deadly disease or nasties

of
: some kind? I see some fellow allotment holders adding fairly

fresh
: manure to their soil, and I wonder how healthy it is to eat

veggies
: grown in it?
:
: Thanks.

You should use well rotted manure as fresh manure will take nitrogen

from
the soil in the decomposing process

?????????? Isn't the whole reason for adding manure to add nitrogen
(as well as P and K)? I've not read any reports of manure being
nitrogen deficient.

If you were writing about adding sawdust then I'd agree with you about
losing nitrogen in the rotting process but not manure.