Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Karen Fletcher Karen Fletcher is offline

Default New to gardening

Raving Monkey wrote:

Hello Gardening Experts!

I am new to gardening and am aiming to try and turn my garden into a
little more ecologically friendly. So I have a couple of questions:

1) I am looking for the contaption I can put food waste into and it
naturally degrades into the garden soil, does anyone know what I am
talking about?

Compost bin? Compost crock for the kitchen? Check out Gardener's Supply
[http://www.gardeners.com] under composting.

2) I am looking at getting a small green house and want to grow some
'easy' veg/fruit, please can you give me some suggestions as to what
and when I should be planting? I am trying to get my kids involved as
much as I can

It would take a book to answer that ;-) so I will recommend the excellent
Greenhouse Gardener's Companion by Shane Smith
[http://www.greenhousegarden.com/].

You might want to check out some of the gardening for kids Web sites for
ideas:

NGAs Kids Gardening
http://www.kidsgardening.com/

Aggie Horticulture's KinderGarden
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/kindergarden/

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002 and 2004